NOW THAT EMPLOYEE UPSKILLING OR SKILL VERIFICATION CAN BE DELIVERED AS AN APPRENTICESHIP FUNDED FROM THE APPRENTICE LEVY – WHY PAY FOR TRADITIONAL COURSES?

On 6th April 2017 the APPRENTICESHIP LEVY was launched.

  • Employers with total annual salary bills above £3m pay into the Levy at 0.5% (£5,000 for every £1m) on salary above £3m
  • The Government adds a further 10% to your contribution into this account every month when your contribution goes in each month
  • If the apprentice is 18 or under at the start then the Government will give you an extra £1,000 contribution
  • Levy payments are held in an electronic account called the Digital Apprenticeship Service (DAS) via the PAYE system
  • Employers with total annual salary bills less than £3m do not pay into the Levy, but may apply to have training funded to 90% from the Levy and make up the remaining 10% (known as co-funding)
  • Employers with less than 50 employees (and less than £3m) can get 100% funding for apprenticeships
  • It can be used to buy APPRENTICESHIP TRAINING and associated END POINT ASSESSMENT (EPA) ONLY from providers that are on the Register of Approved Training Providers (RoATP) by the ESFA (Education & Skills Funding Agency)
  • These providers have to comply with strict rules to ensure that the training is appropriate, the quality and delivery standards are met, and that financial transactions are undertaken properly
  • The training provided is either an APPRENTICE FRAMEWORK (traditional apprenticeship schemes) or an APPRENTICE STANDARD (trailblazers)
  • Each framework or standard has a maximum funding allowance which must cover the costs of training & all assessments
  • Where an employer wishes to spend more than is in their Levy account then the Government will fund 90% whilst the employer makes up the remaining 10% (known as co-funding)
  • The trainee must be employed by the employer to at least the age appropriate minimum wage for 30 hours per week
  • The trainee can be any age at the start of the apprenticeship!
  • The trainee must meet all entry requirements of the framework or standard for the training before completion
  • The employer must demonstrate that at least 20% of the trainee’s time is dedicated to ‘off the job’ training
  • The training must be appropriate to the needs of both the employer and the employee
  • The funds are available to use for 24 months after entering the Levy account
  • After which, if unused, the Government will remove it and use it to co-fund other employers’ apprentice training
  • As of May 2018 a mechanism does exist to transfer up to 10% of unused Levy funds to another employer – typically in your supply chain

Employees that successfully complete the course and pass the end point assessment will receive a CERTIFICATE of APPRENTICESHIP from the INSTITUTE for APPRENTICESHIPS.

However, alongside many apprenticeships an employee could also gain an industry recognised qualification for an additional cost. This would not be funded by the apprentice levy and would have to be met by the employer or employee. An example would be taking the IASSC Lean Six Sigma Green Belt exam for the cost of the exam entrance fee.

On 27th February 2018 2 new Apprenticeship Standards went live:

IMPROVEMENT TECHNICIAN (level 3)
This is fundamentally the LEAN SIX SIGMA YELLOW BELT – and is a 12 to 14 month apprenticeship with maximum levy funding of £4,000

IMPROVEMENT PRACTITIONER (level 4)
This is fundamentally the LEAN SIX SIGMA GREEN BELT – and is a 12 to 14 month apprenticeship with maximum levy funding of £6,000

There are 2 other standards stills in development, SPECIALIST (L5 – Black Belt) & LEADER (L6 – Master Black Belt).

WE CAN ALSO OFFER THE FOLLOWING MANUFACTURING APPRENTICESHIPS:

PROJECT CONTROLS TECHNICIAN (level 3)

  • This is CAPITAL PROJECT MANAGER role
  • 36 to 42 month apprenticeship with maximum levy funding of £21,000

ASSOCIATE PROJECT MANAGER (level 4)

  • This is a GENERIC PROJECT MANAGER role
  • 24 month apprenticeship with maximum levy funding of £9,000

SCIENCE MANUFACTURING PROCESS OPERATOR (level 2)

  • This is aimed at production operators across the science, pharma & chemical industries
  • 18 month apprenticeship with maximum levy funding of £6,000

TEAM LEADER / SUPERVISOR (level 3)

  • This is a aimed at current or prospective team leaders, supervisors and first line managers in any manufacturing sector
  • 12 month apprenticeship with maximum levy funding of £5,000

FOOD & DRINK PROCESS OPERATOR (level 2)

  • This is a aimed at production operators across the food and drink industries
  • 18 month apprenticeship with maximum levy funding of £5,000

FOOD & DRINK ADVANCED PROCESS OPERATOR (level 3)

  • This is a aimed at production operators across the food and drink industries
  • 30 month apprenticeship with maximum levy funding of £9,000

GO SIX SIGMA have teamed up with QUALITRAIN (RoATP listed). The apprenticeship funding is accessed by QUALITRAIN, whom also ensure compliance and arrange the independent End Point Assessment. GO SIX SIGMA are an associate training provider to QUALITRAIN. In effect, GO SIX SIGMA are QUALITRAIN in the delivery of apprenticeships as we must act in accordance with their policies, procedures and standards to ensure compliance. The apprentice contracts are with QUALITRAIN whom then contract GO SIX SIGMA to deliver at an agreed schedule of rates. QUALITRAIN draw down the funding directly from your Levy account.